Thursday, January 12, 2012

Did you know?

Here are just a few of what I call "duh" rules of not only fat loss/muscle gain, but just general health.

*If it's sweet, and not a vegetable or fruit, it is NOT for breakfast.
            Seriously, who is the marketing genius who all of the sudden thought, "I know, let's add fake fruit to this cake and call it a muffin, people will LOVE it". Jim Gaffigan does a great bit on this concept.
This also covers your cereals, and sugar infused "natural" fruit juices. Just say no.  You will feel so much better throughout the day, now that you are not having a sugar crash at 11 every morning.


*If you can't pronounce the ingredients, it was not meant to be eaten.
         Have you ever read the ingredients of what you are eating? I mean seriously! Generally speaking the less ingredients the better, or if you are buying produce and there are NO labels then you know it's going to be good. This goes for your food, and your drinks.  

*For fat loss, eat off a smaller plate, for muscle gain, eat off a larger plate.
                 This also means if you are small (i.e.5' nothing), eat off of a smaller plate, and if you are bigger (i.e. 6'8'') eat off of a larger plate. The concept is simple, if you have less room for food, you will put less on your plate, and in the end eat less, same thing for if you  are trying to bulk up.... We do it for toddlers.

*You don't always have to clean your plate

                 Your mom was wrong, and so was your grandma. Unlike them we are not growing up during a depression where it's a miracle if we have a full plate to start off with. And those starving children in Africa won't mind if you eat the rest of your dinner for lunch tomorrow. I promise.  Also if your food has gone bad, toss it! The cheese cake from a week ago that smells iffy... NOT WORTH IT. I promise, there will be other cheesecakes and throwing up for two days is not worth it, for any food.


*If you can't keep your eyes open, you probably need sleep, not caffeine!
                 Sleep really is THE best medicine. I am talking about sleep at NIGHT, not lazy cat naps during the day while you watch TV and nosh down cheetos. 
Did you know?
 Sleep is restorative for the brain.

Your immune system works DOUBLE time while you are sleeping.

Too little sleep can lead to weight gain by altering levels of the hormones that regulate satiety and hunger, leading to overeating, overweight, and obesity. (Can't seem to lose any weight? Try sleeping at least 6-8 hours a night)

Insufficient sleep is associated with a higher incidence of behavioral problems, especially attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Memory consolidation occurs during slow wave sleep, meaning that the different pieces of what we've learned during the day come together coherently so that the knowledge can be accessed when needed.

Source

*A potato does NOT count as your vegetable for the meal. 

                      Hate to break it to you, but French fries and ketchup are not veggies, and they never will be. Also a potato (especially your basic white) is mostly starch, this means you might as well be eating a slice of Wonder bread, and calling that a vegetable. 
              PS: Something that I have always found funny is that in order for a potato to be edible it has to be deep fried, or covered in gravy and sour cream... who are we kidding? Just eat a spoonful of gravy mixed with sour cream and you will be better off. (Sick, I know)
Don't eat me...seriously


I hope this has been fun and informative. 
Remember you can email or message me anytime with questions. 





2 comments:

  1. So true! ...but looking at all this food makes me want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I LOOOOOOOVE potatoes. But I never count them as my "vegetable".

    ReplyDelete

When it Began:Why I thought I would love Yoga

When I began my yoga journey I was very interested in the things my physical body could do. I still am, to be honest, however my physical se...