Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Ultimate Green Smoothie

Green Smoothies are very trendy right now in fitness circles. Even people who know next to nothing about health and fitness are hopping on the green smoothie band wagon, so I thought I would put my two cents in with my "salad" smoothie that I make from time to time.

Your smoothie should be 3 parts greens (veggies) and 1 part fruits. This, in my opinion, is where most people seem to go wrong. Two spinach leaves does not equal a serving of veggies!
Basically I just go to my fridge and see what salad things I have. I try to use the lettuce and spinach that is starting to look a bit... yucky, then I throw in a few cucumbers, kale, maybe even some carrot juice (warning, this will turn your green smoothie... kind of brown)
Just using what I had in the fridge, Romain lettuce, baby spinach, cucumbers, and broccoli. I only used the stalk of the broccoli, and steamed the heads for dinner that night.  Like I said you can use any greens you have in your fridge. 

Chop things up then toss them in the blender (they should fill the blender nearly to the top) adding a cup or so of water. You can always add more later if you need to.

Blend it all up and you will have some green juice. I think it smells fresh and healthy. As you can see this is a pretty small smoothie I made. 

Next we have our fruits. If you want your smoothie to be a pretty lighter green color stick with light fruits like, peaches, pineapples, mango, and bananas. I only actually put about half of the fruit pictured here in the smoothie. 

Before blending the fruit in I like to add a couple of super healthy bonus ingredients. Two tablespoons full of ground flack seed. If you prefer to add liquid fish oil, another healthy source of Omega 3s feel free. 

I then add one to two scoops of vanilla protein powder. No meal is complete without protein! 



Blend it all together until smooth. Check the constancy and taste to see if you need more water, or something to make it taste less like banana. 

Drink for breakfast, or a post workout recovery drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

When it Began:Why I thought I would love Yoga

When I began my yoga journey I was very interested in the things my physical body could do. I still am, to be honest, however my physical se...