Thursday, July 7, 2011

How to eat post workout, for fat loss

I have gotten a few questions about how to refuel post workout. Here are a few simple guidelines;
*You need to refuel quickly post workout. There is some debate as to how soon, I have heard times ranging between as little as 20 minutes and as long as 3 hours. I just bring my post workout "meal" to the gym with me.
*What to eat:
Protein is key. As I mentioned earlier it helps you feel full so it helps with weight loss. Protein is also key in rebuilding muscle tissue. When you workout, to put it simply, you "beat up" your muscles by putting additional strain on them, your muscles need to rebuild and protein is a key building block. Make sense?
I prefer to drink a protein shake, since packing a chicken breast to the gym, is well, I would rather not... There are several brands out there, and I have not settled on one that I am in love with yet. These as well as these and these have been recommended by other trainers. This is pretty good too. Find one you like and is within your cost range, lots of times you can get things a bit cheaper by using amazon or other web-based stores.
Carbs (the kind not found in fruits and veggies)
We, in America, love our breads, pastas, and rices. These kinds of food, however, do not love us back when we are trying to lose fat. No, not even your favorite honey whole wheat bread. Sorry... However, our bodies process these very well post workout! Again, there is a time frame on this, as mentioned above, so it is best to eat these yummy carbs within at least an hour of your workout. And no, working out in the morning does not give you license to eat carbs ALL day!
Best post-workout carbs
A solid albeit less than exhaustive list would be –

Sweet potato
Legumes (beans, lentils)
Large flake whole oats
Wild / long grain rice
Quinoa
Spelt
Barley

Potatoes, pasta and breads will work for some but not all – even after a workout. So it's important to monitor your progress and adjust your sources as necessary. Also note that many people do well by eliminating gluten from the diet even if they don’t exhibit obvious symptoms of gluten intolerance.


In short, post-workout have protein and carbs, and try to refuel within at least an hour of exercise.
If you have any questions please post!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

When it Began:Why I thought I would love Yoga

When I began my yoga journey I was very interested in the things my physical body could do. I still am, to be honest, however my physical se...